1. What is the purpose of calculating the standard deviation?
A. To represent graphically the variability of data
B. To give a measure of the spread of values around the mean
C. To represent the range of 50 % of the data
D. To give a measure of the correlation between two variables
2. Which statement is part of the cell theory?
A. All cells have a cell wall.
B. Every cell shows emergent properties.
C. Every cell carries out all the functions of life.
D. All cells come from pre-existing cells.
3. What is the principal mode of division for the prokaryote Escherichia coli ?
B. Binary fission
4. Where can 70S ribosomes be found?
A. On membranes of the Golgi apparatus
B. In prokaryotic cells
C. On membranes of the rough endoplasmic reticulum
D. In nuclei
Questions 5 and 6 refer to the following image of a liver cell.
Content removed for copyright reasons
5. What is the function of the organelles labelled X?
B. Polypeptide formation
C. Aerobic cell respiration
D. Protein transport
6. What is the approximate size of the nucleus?
A. 2 μm
B. 5 μm
C. 9 μm
D. 24 μm
7. What substance is represented by this structure?
B. Fatty acid
8. What is a function of cellulose in plants?
A. To form a mesh of fibres in the cell wall
B. To prevent mineral ions from diffusing out of the cell
C. To prevent water loss
D. To capture blue and red light photons
9. Why do crop plants dry out when a field is irrigated with water contaminated by sea water?
A. The plants lose water by active transport.
B. The plants gain salt by osmosis.
C. The plants gain salt by diffusion.
D. The plants lose water by osmosis.
Questions 10 and 11 refer to the following diagram of DNA.
10. What does the structure labelled X represent?
A. Hydrogen bond
C. Covalent bond